Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The death of a hero

Like a lot of people my age, I got into punk late. People were calling it "Dead" while I was listening to my first Green Day song. My personal beliefs about it is that its not dead but has changed. It still lives with Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, and others. So after a while I found out about the father of punk Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols. But before I could memorize the lyrics to God Save the Queen people were telling me he was a sellout. I don't know what to think. There's no deny it, there's proof. But that doesn't make everything he said irrelevant. Does it? I'd like to think not, but an still pondering it myself. Anyway, my main point is why are people surprised. Iggy Pop did an insurance commercial. Ozzy was in a Warcraft commercial. If you watch your heroes long enough they'll eventually do something you don't like. But I say don't let their new actions counter the old. Johnny Rotten was a rebel no one would stop. Remember him for that, not the stupid butter commercial. Sure, he did it, but don't let it ruin your image of him. Some people argue that he Sold out. I say Johnny Rotten did not, John Lydon did.

No comments: